Words.

Are there no ends to the tricks you can make words perform?

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Inadequacy.

I will never write the way I hear you write.
I don't know if it's your voice
or your words
but there's something different
about the way you kidnap letters
and force them into submission.
Almost makes me wish you'd do the same to me.
But it doesn't matter
because you don't know I exist.
I'm not in your world,
where words and mistakes
remake again
and again
and
again.

I hear you read your poetry and I freeze inside.
I can't write that way, and I know it.
I sit down and try to compose,
but all that drips out of my fingertips
are pale imitations
trying to be you because that's the only way I can get close enough
to feel like you know me.

The inflections in your voice, and the way you don't look up
not always
and not often--
How hidden you are even when you're most brazen
picking up admiration like you're picking pockets.

There I go again.
Using your voice, your metaphors, your similes
and smiles
in my writing because I can't do it alone.
There was this other writer who knew I couldn't do this alone.
He told me it was okay--
that all the best steal from their betters, until they steal from themselves.
I stared by stealing from myself.
Now I'm at the low end of the ladder,
taking the picked-through scraps off the
compost
from the garbage
from the dog bowl
from the poor man's meal
from the servant's part
from the manservant's portion
of the master's leavings
off the master's plate
from the master's meal
at the master's table
in the master's hall
of the master's palace
on the master's land.

I'm not the master.
I'm battling with rats
over syllables that don't go together,
a jumbled mess.
Try sounding out
oo-ah-ee-mn.
It doesn't mean anything.
I'm beginning to learn
neither does what I steal.

Don't take me to task for calling myself out.
This is no case of
an author's her own worst critic.
No.
See, I'm my own best fan.
I think I make the sun rise in the morning,
and bring out the moonlight in the evenings.
I think the moon fades because too much exposure
makes her jealous.
But she keeps coming back for more because I'm so addictive.
I'm all the types of illegal street drug that won't kill you,
just maim your brain cells until you forget why you're taking me
in the first place.

But after spending an hour listening to your voice
and your way with words
I'm regretting ever putting pen to paper.
I'd give up the craft entirely if I didn't need it for my sanity.
And even that's wavering, I think.
Maybe if your creations can keep me sane
I'll forgo the paper, and the creativity
and sink to my knees to worship your artistry
because you've trapped me inside your majesty
and I don't want to be anything but freed.

No comments:

Post a Comment