Words.

Are there no ends to the tricks you can make words perform?

Friday, March 25, 2011

Paradise Fell.

If Paradise falls
I'll be in chains
laying down in
Purgatory while
angels
and clouds
rush around trying,
failing,
to get it all sorted out.
I'll be laughing
chained against a
monument to the Testaments
both old and new -
a huge book carved of stone
only two pages showing
only one message seen
growing after taking root in the
hearts and minds
of people who were my kind
before this mess.
But after Heaven falls, what're
you gonna do?
It's like the hard kick
some ancients get, and
suddenly they're pious,
right on their death beds,
begging god for mercy
after how they've fucked
over their fellow humans.
That kind of conversion at least made sense
but pledging allegiance
to a place
that caved in,
got destroyed -
fuckers, where's the sanity in that?
But I guess they figured
since god's hidey hole was real,
the Big Man might be the real deal
himself,
come out of the sky,
thunder lightening,
raising Cain, and maybe poor old Abel too
and I lost 'em
all those sinners
destined for high end hell mutinied
no more - laughing with the sinners,
'stead singing with the saints
and somebody had handcuffs, too
not sure how the whole
fire and brimstone
aspect of hell planned to work out in those;
not even sure exactly
who had them
maybe some corrupt police officer
or a convict
who didn't manage to escape them
when Judgment Day came around
riled up quite a crowd,
let me tell you.
So my loyal followers
fell off the bandwagon
until it was more of a one man deal,
and began singing
like song birds begging for their freedom
or declaring mating wars.
Loud and raunchy
if you know the language,
almost pretty if you don't.
Then something or other
clever and rhyming
happened
(can't be bothered to decide
what exactly)
and it all ended,
I was free,
and whoever I tricked
into letting me go... well, he's
a trifle richer now,
so move out of the way,
and let me head north -
I'm on my way to cause
mayhem,
of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment