Words.

Are there no ends to the tricks you can make words perform?

Friday, June 3, 2011

It's In the Details

every detail I could want to know
is contained in the broader word:
dog
chair
fish
house

but the three-legged Irish setter
missing her left ear isn't the same
miniature greyhound with a broken tail
and bleach white paws
that you had in mind

and my grandma's rickety wheelchair,
old enough to have been jacked from a sanatorium
back in the days when they still existed
isn't the mahogany rocker
you were thinking of

and while I don't know that much about fish,
the piranha that feasts on flesh
and the salmon on my dinner plate
aren't quite the same

and neither is my house - an abandoned wreckage
drooping from the weight of too many memories
and a lack of laughter
like yours,
starving from a lack of children
and over usage of bad puns.

So do us all a favor.
Details, please.
Or I'll just assume your murderer
is holding a letter opener,
not an ax
and be confused as to how an overhand chop
with such a dainty item
could dispatch
two ill trained, fashion-senseless
Russian miscreants wearing matching pea-coats in dark grey
and no pants.
I mean.
Really.
What else comes to mind when you
think
murder?

No comments:

Post a Comment