Words.

Are there no ends to the tricks you can make words perform?

Thursday, September 8, 2011

l e t ' s r u n w i l d

let's run wild
like the kings and queens
we never were
gone mad
succumbed to the horror
of courtly life
to the point where it's better
to knife the guests of honor
than sit through
another knight of
sober revelry
while everyone else
becomes outlandishly drunk
the better to stand
your presence

let's run away
because what can they do,
really?
it's out of their hands
and I'm in yours,
or pretending I may be,
eventually.
if you follow the rhythm
of words you've heard
you'd realize that my
disguise is as coltish
and coy as your own

let's run away,
escape the sentries
by playing shadows
blending, bleeding
right into the
landscape - nightmares
instead of people
living dreams to replace wishes
you've no hand in the design

it's just something my mind
came up with,
a long time before you...
an escape plan
I couldn't put into practice
until now -
I needed a crime
fighting criminal partner
to take my side
and the last audition sucked
so bad
I had almost given up
(you know what that's like, right?)
but sometimes people
slip in last minute
and don't look like much
but have the balls
to back up nothing
make it something
like sewing together
imagined cutouts of air
to make a breeze
or a carefully contained
tsunami
hidden with decorative grins
and bright eyes.

hey - I'm looking for
Blue Eyes
has anyone seen him?

maybe it won't matter in a year or two
(got, but the time between
auditions stretches)
so...are you in line
or hanging off the balcony
waiting for the magic
to get a head start?
no waiting around these parts -
you've got to grab ahold
and strangle all that life
right back into your own

No comments:

Post a Comment