Words.

Are there no ends to the tricks you can make words perform?

Friday, September 2, 2011

Transport

Take me to where you are
I want to be beside you,
watching you sleep.
To run my fingers though
your hair, across your skin.
To look down on you, from
a vantage point just a little
above your bed.
Maybe to be able to put my
arms around you again
the way we did when we
climbed to the top of the world
together.
Before conspirators and get-down-ists
came after us trying to
destroy the mood.
But still!
Something worth recalling.
I want to be where you are,
and I wish...wish that I
were.

I wish I were with you, now,
not because where you are is
better than my green chair and
white-wood desk, or because
where you are has air
conditioning. I wish I were
with you, but not because
the hum of crickets might
lessen, or the growl of
the sleeping fridge vanish.
I wish I were with you,
not to escape the tension
or the time - 3 am leaves far
too much room for exploration -
but because there's business,
still unfinished.
Not quite touched, yet.

Your words, for example.
How confusing you manage to be,
accidentally-on-purpose.
Happy to see...and aggravated,
all in a breath,
mixing the simple elegance
with complexities.
How happy to aggravate.

I think were a little too far
off, at present
and I want to remedy that -
step up to the plate
and swing - blindfolded -
at a ball I'm not even sure
is there.
Almost no chance to hit -
but almost none is slightly
greater than
not swinging at all.

You've confused me
and intrigued me. I want to
learn what you are, now
not just who. Your dancing
doesn't give more than
brief insight - a glimpse
into the mirror while
trying to see the whole of a
house. Everything is...
relative.

I'm afraid to ask if we
can explore this together, but
I find this odd idea in my
mind that I may indeed
need to ask.
Sometime, though.
Not all at once, and not
now. Not yet.

I'm always putting things off that way.
Too soon.
Too quick.
Too...something.
Not yet.
Not. Yet.
Notyetnotyetnotyet -
And then it's gone, vanished
the way glitter does when you kill
the lights.
Out of sight, out of time.

Don't rush away on me.
Sleep...
Well, do you know what I
think?
I think this might have
potential, just because we
don't know, and not
knowing is so much more
interesting.
All the questions he could
ask, without needing to look
too deep, too much.
Too anything.

But I'm afraid, too.
Afraid that - despite
words - I'm not welcome. Not
yet. (Sound familiar? Notyetnotyet
notyet - how about now?)

What I remember best is
falling onto the stage by
mistake and whispered encouragement,
telling me to go do my thing.
And telling myself I
damn well would.
Walking up to you directly,
and wishing I had a
tie, not just a hat...
But Dan's hat looked
aight on you.
Good enough to be
mistaken, anyway.
And then...dancing.
To hoots, hollars and
grand laughter.
That's my real recall.
Our duet, on the other
hand escapes me,
mostly. The fumbles come
to mind - not quite sure
where one is supposed to
bleed into another.
But therein arises another
problem.

I want your hands.
I long for touch and
taste. To be understood in
the flesh, not just mind.
I want the weight of experience
to come crashing in, while
the fervor of youth
accompanies.
I want you to know
(though actually, I don't)
that I imagine what you might
feel like, above me. Touching me.
Since in the dance style you
favor, touching is outlawed,
anathema. A slip-up, fumble.
A problem.
You're supposed to read their
bodies, not control and guide. You
react and respond... Not create
by sheer force.
But still, I'd like to dance
dirty, one time. Just to see
where your hands go -
to my hips, or up. To my
stomach, or below.
Or if you'd hold my hands
and kiss my neck, tongue
tasting sweat-salted skin.

Images too strong and
powerful, sometimes.
I don't want an image to
have such power over me. My
mind knows and bleeds out
my part in events I'd like to
forget... Replaces time
with whatever else could be
constructed out of paper
and cooking oil.

Not making sense, now, but
thats easier to do as four am
wears on. Passing the minutes by with recollections -
almost all faulty - and
hopes - fantasies - for a future.

They told me once that
only a madman makes
his letters different
ways each time.
I look at them and wonder
because every letter is
different.
I think I might be
mad. Oh, wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment